Introducing The Star Cushion Range
Why would your client need a Star Cushion?
- They are a high risk of skin breakdown and pressure area development.
- They require an air cushion (gold standard in pressure relief).
- They require the highest level of cushioning with maximal postural stability.
Get to know the types of Star Cushion:
There are 4 different types of Star cushions available, all are similar in construction.
Air Cell Locking Technology
Combines excellent pressure redistribution qualities with high stability.
In air cell cushions the combination of pressure redistributing qualities, positioning and stability have always been a difficult compromise. StarLock solves all these requirements elegantly.
With its patented Cell Locking technology, the flow between the StarLock air cells can be locked and thus be custom fitted to the user’s needs for positioning and stability while keeping it’s high pressure redistributing qualities. StarLock cushions provide the highest level of therapeutic prevention and treatment of pressure ulcers, for all pressure ulcers categories together with unique positioning possibilities and stability. Starlock is available in heights of 5, 7.5, 10 and 13 cm. For users with severe atrophy in the gluteal area, we recommend 13 cm cell height. The Starlock cushion can also easily be used as a one compartment cushion.
Star Galaxy Cushion
Unique Shaped Cells
Combines multi-cellular air technology with a patented, contoured design, which supports specific areas and fits the anatomical form.
The Galaxy cushion has uniquely anatomically shaped cells that provides immediate immersion and envelops around the user’s body structure. The Galaxy cushion is also divided into two separate compartments, one in the front and one in the back, to enhance the pressure redistributing qualities.
The New Generation Air Cell Cushion
The perfect blend of multi air cell cushion with soft foam cylinders within each air cell.
Each Stabil-Air cushion has two sizes of foam cylinders. The cylinders on the outside are higher, while those under the buttocks, coccyx and legs are lower, creating an anatomically shaped secondary layer of skin protection. This increases the stability and eases transfer to and from the cushion.
The Stabil-Air cushion has one chamber which is easy to use and provides stability.
Star Standard Air
High Levels of Immersion with Excellent Envelopment
Single chamber air cell cushion with excellent pressure redistribution qualities.
Pressure redistribution is at its best with the enveloping qualities of the one compartment Standard Air cushion series. The flexibility of the Neoprene cells allows the cells to shape around the buttocks, keeping cell deformation to a very low level. Standard Air is available in two different heights; 5 and 10 cm. The higher cells, the better pressure redistribution qualities.
General information for patients on Star Cushions
- No latex has been used in making this product.
- Travelling in an airplane will effect the pressure within the Starlock cushion, and over- inflate the air cells. You may need to let a little air out before take off. Always reset your cushion as soon as possible after landing.
- This cushion must not be placed on a car seat, as sudden or sharp braking may cause you to slide off your cushion. The cushion will not maintain your balance when going round corners.
- If you are travelling in your chair, when in a vehicle, always ensure that you are secured correctly with a harness.
- Do not use an alternative cover on the cushion e.g. a pillow case, as this will effect the efficiency of the cushion, and can cause skin marking. Pressure relief
- You may need to carry out pressure relief on this cushion. If you are not sure whether you need to do this, please contact the Pressure Clinic.
- Pressure relief helps to keep the blood flowing in your seating area. This is necessary for healthy skin and helps prevent ulcers forming.
- Pressure is relieved when the bony parts of your bottom are lifted clear from the cushion. To do this you can lift your bottom off the seat or lean side to side or forward and then back. If possible relieve the pressure every 20 minutes for 20 seconds.
- You should check your skin for any skin damage before getting into your wheelchair and on going back to bed. When in bed, if you have any red or pink marks on your skin, you will need to relieve pressure from the area until the mark has completely faded. If the mark is still there after 30 minutes, please contact the Pressure Clinic for advice.
- New cushions are firmer than older ones, so you need to check you skin as often as possible when you get a new one.
Life expectancy of the cushion and how to replace it
- The Star cushions should last between 3-5 years, or longer if looked after and maintained properly, but this can vary depending on your weight and how active you are.
- The cushion is guaranteed for 2 years from manufacturing defects.
For HSE clients, to repair or replace your cushion, please contact your Occupational Therapist.
The offices and warehouse of O Neill Healthcare will close for the Christmas break on Friday 21st December and we will reopen on January 2nd 2019. Thank you for your support and assistance throughout 2018. We wish you and yours a Happy Christmas and look forwarding...
Whether you are buying a wheelchair privately or being prescribed a chair by a Healthcare Professional, it is useful to know what is available and how it will perform. Performance with independence is an achievable goal. When prescribed by a healthcare professional, a...