Your partner in effective rehabilitation
The Ora-Light ® System aids the therapist to target and maximize rehabilitation outcomes of patients with oral motor deficits.
Features and Benefits
Experienced Speech Language Therapists will recognise the benefits of oral motor exercises in a wide variety of clinical applications.
- Articulation disorders
- Oral Motor disorders
- Oral Cancer resections
- Laryngectomee rehabilitation
We recommend that for best results the complete system be used. This will provide a balanced programme of tongue and lip co-ordination exercises and motion. However individual tools can be purchased. The Ora-light System has been formulated after many years of clinical experience. These handheld therapeutic tools have a handle portion protruding from between the lips and the other portion fitting against the hard palate.
A variety of shapes, called activators, on the palatal and the handle portions have been designed to facilitate the graduated learning and strengthening of specific tongue and lip movements required for speech and swallow. These activating shapes on the handle and palatal portions have textured surfaces to provide increased sensory feedback.
By incorporating these various, and other design features the Ora-light tool system provides the Speech Language Therapist the opportunity to retrain strength and movement patterns of the oral musculature by resistant movement techniques as well as with ‘successive approximation’ training in the strengthening exercises of the oral musculature required for speech and oral phase of swallowing. The suggested protocol includes ‘successive approximation’ and resistant movement training exercises.
Quality of life
- “I can now drink without a straw”
- “I can use my lips and tongue more completely to eat”
- “I can kiss my wife without drooling!”
- “I can teach again without spraying my students with saliva”
Key therapy benefits
- Aids the Speech Language Therapist to target and maximize rehabilitation outcomes of patients with oral motor deficits.
- Ora-Light exercise tools help to improve the strength and movement of specific lip, tongue and cheek musculature.
- Specifically crafted from shatter-proof material to incorporate shape and tactile areas which encourage proper tongue, lip movements and contact.
- Simple to use with a comprehensive suggested exercise protocol, highlighting the specific muscles exercised, and indicating the phonetic articulator placement for sound production.
- Each tool is for Single Patient use.
- Cost effective.
Key rehabilitation benefits
- To provide valuable motivation to patients by active participation in their rehabilitation programme.
- Audio CD available for patients to ‘listen’ and repeat the suggested exercise protocol – an ideal accompaniment at home.
- Ora-Light tools are inexpensive to help therapy funds go further! Affordable when patients and family members purchase to encourage a regular exercise regime in the home – which will help speed up rehabilitation and treatment outcomes.
- Patient’s dental status is not a limiting factor
- Patient’s reduced motor control is not a barrier to
- the use of the Ora-Light system.