The POWERbreathe Medic Classic is a Respiratory Muscle Training device (RMT) scientifically proven to strengthen the respiratory muscles, reducing breathlessness, improving exercise tolerance and enhancing quality of life in a wide range of patients.
POWERbreathe Medic Classic offers an evidence-based, drug-free treatment for patients in a variety of medical conditions such as COPD, Heart Failure, Asthma, Thoracic Surgery, Ventilator Weaning, Cystic Fibrosis and Neuromuscular Disease.
Benefits of POWERbreathe Medic
- Cost reduction: only 1 unit required per patient, with no repeat prescription required
- Increase in quality of life
- Reduction in drug intake by up to 75%
- Non-invasive treatment
- Drug-free with no side effects or drug interactions
- The first non pharmacological treatment for respiratory disease
- Clinically proven by a wealth of research
- Continuous research leads a program of development and new products
- Increases whole body’s capacity to undertaken activity or exercise
- Training adjunct for Pulmonary Rehab
- Can be used straight out of the box
POWERbreathe Medic Classic Adjustable Load Setting Range
Level 1 = 10cmH2O
Level 2 = 20cmH2O
Level 3 = 30cmH2O
Level 4 = 40cmH2O
Level 5 = 50cmH2O
Level 6 = 60cmH2O
Level 7 = 70cmH2O
Level 8 = 80cmH2O
Level 9 = 90cmH2O
(Precise load settings may vary)
- The patient must not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting their doctor.
- POWERbreathe should not be used if the patient is suffering from a ruptured eardrum.
- To prevent the potential transmission of infections, we recommend that POWERbreathe is not shared with other users, including family members.
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- POWERbreathe is designed for exercising the inspiratory muscles only. No other use is intended or implied.
- Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe with supervision from an adult. POWERbreathe contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 7 years.
- Whilst training with POWERbreathe the patient should feel resistance when inhaling but it should not be painful. If the patient feels pain whilst using POWERbreathe they should stop immediately and consult their doctor.
- Some users may experience slight ear discomfort when training with POWERbreathe, especially if they are recovering from a cold. This is caused by inadequate equalisation of pressure between the mouth and ears. If symptoms persist, patients should consult their doctor.
- If a patient is suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that they do not use POWERbreathe until symptoms have disappeared.
Healthcare Professional should take into consideration the following conditions before patients use POWERbreathe:
- A history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition.
- Pulmonary hypertension or large bullae on chest x-ray
- Marked osteoporosis with history of rib fractures
- Desaturation during or following IMT (<94%)
Use and Care
How to use:
- The patient puts the nose-clip on so that it pushes their nostrils together (this is optional but prevents the patient from breathing in through their nose).
- The patient should then breathe in quickly and forcefully through POWERbreathe for 30 breaths twice a day (preferably morning and night to allow the inspiratory muscles time to recover in between sessions). This is the scientifially proven training regimen.
- As inspiratory muscle strength and stamina improve, the patient may adjust and increase the resistance.
- Full instructions are provided in the accompanying user manual.
- POWERbreathe will be exposed to saliva during use. We recommend that a few times a week
- POWERbreathe should be soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes ( the POWERbreathe Manual has full details).
- Once a week POWERbreathe should be soaked in a mild cleansing solution instead of water, using
- POWERbreathe Cleansing Tablets – only 1 tablet is required each time.
POWERbreathe is drug free, suitable for almost anyone and should cause no harmful side effects when used properly. Please read the following precautions and contraindications to ensure that POWERbreathe is used safely and appropriately.
What’s In The Box?
- POWERbreathe IMT device
- Mouthpiece (PVC – not made with natural rubber latex or and phthalates)
- Nose clip
- Storage pouch
- 4 cleansing tablets
- User manual