The POWERbreathe Plus uses a variable load calibrated spring, calibrated to your chosen resistance. It can be adjusted from the lowest load setting (17cmH2O) when you begin training and increased as your breathing muscles adapt and become stronger (maximum load setting 274cmH2O).
POWERbreathe Plus uses scientifically proven Pressure Threshold Training. This provides a specific and consistent pressure to train against. When breathing in through POWERbreathe the load calibrated spring provides the resistance.
- Second generation POWERbreathe Inspiratory Muscle Training (IMT) device
- 65% improvement in airflow dynamics than the Classic
- Mechanical, adjustable with load setting indicator
- Drug-free – no side effects or drug interactions
Which Resistance Do I Need?
Choose Light Resistance:
- If you exercise / are physcially active for less than 2.5 hours per week and have no breathing problems
- If you exercise / are physcially active for less than 2.5 hours per week and have breathing problems – minor/moderate
- If you exercise / are physcially active for more than 2.5 hours per week and have severe breathing problems
Choose Medium Resistance:
- If you exercise / are physcially active for more than 2.5 hours per week and have no breathing problems
- If you exercise / are physcially active for more than 2.5 hours per week and have some breathing problems that are not severe
Choose Heavy Resistance:
- Only if you have reached the highest load setting on a POWERbreathe Medium Resistance model first.
Use and Care
How to use:
- Put the nose-clip on so that it pushes your nostrils together (this is optional but prevents you from breathing in through your nose).
- Breathe in quickly and forcefully through your POWERbreathe for 30 breaths twice a day (preferably morning and night so you allow your inspiratory muscles time to recover in between sessions). This is the scientifially proven training regimen.
- As your inspiratory muscle strength and stamina improve, adjust and increase the resistance.
- Within a few days your inspiratory muscles will feel stronger; within 3-weeks you’ll feel less breathless; and within 4 weeks activities will feel easier.
- Full instructions are provided in the accompanying user manual.
- Your POWERbreathe will be exposed to saliva during use. We recommend that a few times a week your POWERbreathe should be soaked in warm water for about 10 minutes (see your POWERbreathe Manual for full details).
- Once a week your POWERbreathe should be soaked in a mild cleansing solution instead of water, using the POWERbreathe Cleansing Tablets- only 1 tablet is required each time.
Precautions and Contraindications
POWERbreathe is drug free, suitable for almost anyone and should cause no harmful side effects when used properly. Please read the following precautions and contraindications to ensure that you use your POWERbreathe safely and appropriately.
If you have any doubts about POWERbreathe’s suitability, or you have a medical condition, please consult your doctor.
- Do not make changes to any prescribed medication or prescribed treatment programme without consulting your doctor.
- Do not use POWERbreathe if you are suffering from a ruptured eardrum.
- To prevent the potential transmission of infections, we recommend that you do not share your POWERbreathe with other users, including family members.
- This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.
- POWERbreathe is designed for exercising your inspiratory muscles only. No other use is intended or implied.
- Anyone who is under the age of 16 should only use POWERbreathe with supervision from an adult. POWERbreathe contains small parts and is not suitable for children under 7 years.
- Whilst training with POWERbreathe you should feel resistance when inhaling but it should not be painful. If you should feel pain whilst using POWERbreathe, stop immediately and consult your doctor.
- Some users may experience slight ear discomfort when training with Medic Plus, especially if they are recovering from a cold. This is caused by inadequate equalisation of pressure between the mouth and ears. If symptoms persist, please consult your doctor.
- If you are suffering from a cold, sinusitis or respiratory tract infection, we advise that you do not use POWERbreathe until symptoms have disappeared. If in doubt, consult your doctor.
- Refer to your Healthcare Professional before using POWERbreathe if you have any of the following conditions:
- A history of spontaneous pneumothorax (a collapsed lung that was not due to traumatic injury e.g. broken rib), as it may lead to a recurrence of the condition.
- Pulmonary hypertension o Large bullae on chest x-ray
- Marked osteoporosis with history of rib fractures
- Desaturation during or following IMT (<94%)
Inspiratory muscle training, such as training with POWERbreathe, is not recommended for patients with certain conditions, including the following:
- Asthma patients who have low symptom perception and suffer from frequent, severe exacerbations or with an abnormally low perception of dyspnoea
- If you are suffering from a ruptured eardrum or any other condition of the ear
- Patients with marked elevated left ventricular end-diastolic volume and pressure
- Patients with worsening heart failure signs and symptoms after RMT / IMT
- If in doubt, consult your Healthcare Professional.